Patna: Bihar Director General of Police (DGP) K S Dwivedi, amid the political and civil storm over the prolonged rape of 29 girls living at a shelter for children in Muzaffarpur, held a press conference on Tuesday to apprise the people about the status of an ongoing investigation in the case.
Confirming that 29 of the 42 girls in the shelter were indeed raped over a period of time, Dwivedi said that probe was moving swiftly and guilty persons would soon be brought to justice.
The DGP, however, ruled out a CBI probe in the case as demanded by the opposition party leaders saying the state was fully capable of investigating the case without any bias or any sort of pressure from the administration.
"As soon as we received a report from the Social Welfare Department about what was happening and what had happened at the shelter home in Muzaffarpur, we jumped into action. Eleven people have been identified and made accused in the case. Ten people, including the director of the shelter Brajesh Thakur, have been arrested. An eleventh person named Dilip Verma is absconding and efforts are on to catch him as well," Dwivedi said.
The DGP further said that though there were reports of some girls missing from the shelter, police were yet to confirm it as there had been no indication of anyone missing so far.
He, however, said that similar abuse of girls has been reported from shelter homes in Bhagalpur, Motihari, and Munger and authorities were investing those allegations as well.
Atul Prasad, Social Welfare Department Secretary said that a social audit of all the shelter homes for girls was carried out recently during which Muzaffarpur case was revealed.
"We are adopting a number of measures to stop such things from happening in future and are also taking strict actions against those responsible for such heinous crimes," Prasad said.