Sahjan (Drumstick) ki Sabzi
Sahjan - a vegetable full with medicinal qualities - when prepared properly, it tastes like Bihari style of cooking fish with 'sarson' (mustard seed).
For 3 Person(s)
- 6 Drumsticks (sahjan) peeled and cut in 2
- 3 Potatoes, cut in chunks
- 2 Tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon(s) Fenugreek seed (methi)
- 1 tablespoon(s) Cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon(s) Salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon(s) Cumin seed (for paste)
- 1 teaspoon(s) Coriander powder (for paste)
- 0.5 teaspoon(s) Black pepper powder (for paste)
- 1 tablespoon(s) Mustard seed (for paste)
- 6 Garlic cloves (for paste)
- 1 teaspoon(s) Turmeric powder (for paste)
- 0.5 teaspoon(s) Red chili powder (for paste)
Sahjan (Drumstick) ki Sabzi Directions
- Grind all the masala ingredients with little water and make a smooth paste.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a kadahi and put drumsticks and potato chunks and fry till they become pinkish brown.
- Take out drumsticks and potatoes from the kadahi.
- Again, heat 2 tbsp oil and add fenugreek seed. When it starts crackling, add masala paste and fry for a while then add chopped tomatoes, salt, drumsticks, and potatoes.
- Fry for 5 minutes till oil separates from the corner.
- Add 3 cups of water and cover the lid and cook till drumsticks become tender (approx 7 to 10 minutes).
- Remove from stove, garnish with chopped cilantro leaves and serve with steamed rice or roti/paratha.