Aloo Potol Dalna - Bengali Style
For 6 Person(s)
- 6 small potatoes
- 1/2 kilo(s) parwal, (potol in Bengali)
- 3 tablespoon(s) mustard oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoon(s) tiny coconut pieces
- 1 tablespoon(s) ghee
- 4 green chilies
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon(s) sugar
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) chili powder, or to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) coriander
- 1 teaspoon(s) cumin seeds
- 2 inch long cinnamon sticks
- 2 cardamoms
Aloo Potol Dalna - Bengali Style Directions
- Preparation: Grind and make a paste separately 1.5 tsp. coriander and 1 tsp. cumin seeds. Grind finely 2" cinnamon sticks (or cinnamon powder, if available) and also the cardamom seeds. Peel and cut the potatoes in halves. Scrape and cut the parwals length-wise in halves or in three pieces, if big in size.
- Heat oil in the pressure cooker pan and fry coconut until light brown and keep aside.
- Re-heat the oil and fry bay leaves and green chilies for a minute in it.
- Add coriander paste sprinkled with a little water.
- When fried, add the vegetables, coconut, sugar, salt and chilly powder. Add one cup of water and close the pressure cooker with its lid.
- When the steam starts escaping from the vent-tube, place the vent weight and pressure cook for 2 minutes.
- Cool cooker, open and add cardamom and cinnamon powder, mix well, re-heat and remove.
- Serve hot.