For 10 Serving(s)
- 1/2 cup(s) milk
- 2/3 cup(s) plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon(s) butter (melted)
- 2 1/3 cup(s) non-fat dry milk powder
- 1 tablespoon(s) baking powder
- 1 cup(s) all-purpose flour (maida)
- 1 pinch(es) saffron thread
- 1 teaspoon(s) rosewater
- 2 cup(s) water
- 2 cup(s) sugar
- 1/3 cup(s) resin
- 2 cup(s) vegetable oil for deep frying
Gulab Jamun Directions
- Put sugar and water in a heavy saucepan and heat gently, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat and bring to a boil and boil for about 5 minutes, or until thickened and syrupy.
- Stir in rose water and saffron threads and keep warm.
- Sift together flour and baking powder into a medium bowl; stir in milk powder.
- Mix in butter and yogurt and enough milk to make a soft dough. With floured hands, divide dough into 24 pieces. Make a depression in center of each and press in two or three raisins.
- Cover raisins with dough and roll into balls.
- Half-fill a deep pan or deep fryer with oil and heat to 375F (190C) or until a 1-inch cube of bread browns in 50 seconds.
- Fry balls four or five at a time, 3 to 5 minutes until a deep golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels, then add to the syrup. Serve hot.